Best Practices for Student Engagement, Education, and Growth in Disconnected, “Opportunity” Youth Ages 16-24
All information covered in this workshop will be directly related to the distinct population of students aged 16 to 24. These particular students have been dubbed Opportunity Youth, Disconnected Youth, Drop-Outs, Undocumented Minors, and DREAMers. Within traditional education, these students have been tracked, marginalized, and forgotten. With both quantitative and qualitative evidence, presenters will provide the landscape of a school in Washington, DC which seeks to educate and empower this exact population. Attendees should bring research on experience with these students, or a curiosity about their academic development.
- Attendees will review and interact with best practices for engagement, education, and retention
of this population.
- Attendees will discover international similarities within this demographic.
- Attendees will offer research based solutions and ideas to improve and innovate academic
services provided to these students.
Published in: London International Conference on Education (LICE-2016)
- Date of Conference: 14-17 November 2016
- DOI: 10.2053/LICE.2016.0007
- ISBN: 978-1-908320-76-6
- Conference Location: Heathrow Windsor Marriott Hotel, UK